By Chad Polito
Link : Debra Arbec speaks (right) with Chad Polito, executive director of BGC Dawson
CBC Quebec has chosen to support BGC Dawson in Verdun as their 2021 charity of the year. The CBC charity of the year is an important award that recognizes the work of an organization that stands out for its services to the English-speaking community. Starting today, Giving Tuesday, CBC will be showcasing the life-changing programs and service that BGC Dawson has been offering to the community for the last 60 years.
BGC Dawson has programs for people of all ages, from early childhood education to heath and wellness activities for seniors. We have over 800 active members in our organzation and over 5000 individuals that access additional services such as our food bank and drop-in youth programs.
The centre is open from 8 am – 11 pm, Monday through Saturday, to deliver life changing programs in the community. While some of our programs help adress immediate needs such as youth in crisis, parental support groups or providing weekly food baskets, our core programs are built to help address some of the root causes of poverty such as education and opportunity for all.
At BGC Dawson we strongly believe that education and opportunity changes everything. We seek to provide a safe and supportive space where children, youth and seniors can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers and learn new skills.
By equipping our community with educational opportunities as well as tools and resources, together, we can make a huge difference!
This Giving Tuesday, you can donate to BGC Dawson through their online donation page here. Anyone who donates during the month of December will automatically be entered into a draw to win some CBC gift items.
In addition to monetary donations, here are examples of the other kinds of support BGC Dawson would love to receive:
- ·Volunteers in all programs and services (ex.: academic tutoring for children and youth ;
- ·Program support for our seniors programs, weekly foodbank volunteers) ;
- ·Donations of art supplies including construction paper, glue, markers etc. ;
- ·Donations of new toys for children in the afterschool programs ;
- ·Donations of new children’s books and chapter books for elementary aged students ;
- ·Donations of non-perishable food items for the weekly foodbank and holiday baskets.