Every year, gardening experts throughout Montreal celebrate the beginning of the season with a May-long celebration called Cultivate Montreal.
Other than the Great Gardening Weekend and essential services like Urban Seedling Garden Centre and CAUS farmers’ markets and seed swap, most of the 2021 Cultivate Montreal Festival is happening online this month.
For the most part, you can participate for free, except for all the plants, seeds and tools you buy.
It’s a great way to celebrate Mother’s Day.
Here’s a line up of the local events and the great gardening weekend at the Botanic Gardens. (Note: French titles indicate workshops in that language.)
- May 1: FAQ: Tout pour votre potager (answering questions about your vegetable garden), 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., on line, obligatory registration
- May 2 to 8: International Compost Awareness Week
- May 7: Table de discussion – Rencontrez les membres et projets du Grand Potager! (Discussion panel: meet Grand Potager’s members), on line, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., obligatory registration
- May 8: Mother’s Day mini-farmer’s market and perennial plant swap in Verdun, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 7000 Lasalle Blvd.
- May 12: Planifier son jardin potager en milieu urbain (planning your urban vegetable garden), 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on line, obligatory registration
- May 19: Planning and designing your urban vegetable garden, 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on line, obligatory registration
- May 26: Marché Fermier – Coop CAUS – Farmers Market, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., 7000 Lasalle Blvd.
- May 28: Pro-Vert Sud-Ouest at the Great Gardening Weekend at the Botanic Garden, 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- May 29: Coop CAUS at the Great Gardening Weekend at the Botanic Garden, 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. and at a local mini-market in Verdun, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 7000 Lasalle Blvd.
- May 30: Flora Exotica and Grand Potager at the Great Gardening Weekend the Botanic Garden Great Gardening Space, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Hope to see you there!